Baby quilt: Bricks for a boy

I finished another baby quilt this summer. This was for the 2nd son of a very close family friend. I dragged my feet on this one for a long time, because I was working with a color palette that is not my regular thing. I was really worried it was going to be ugly, and I didn’t want to spend a bunch of time on a quilt to have it end up ugly.

But really, in the end, it was lovely. The grays, oranges, turquoises, and greens work well together. It has some very new fabric, and some much older bits from my stash.

I didn’t use a particular pattern, I just made it up as I went along. The piecing took a lot longer than I thought it would. It was hard to keep everything in the right place when I was sewing it together. I used little bits of masking tape stuck to end pieces to keep my rows going the right way, and to make sure I was ironing the seams the correct way. If I do another quilt like this, I will share a post about this method of using masking tape, but I didn’t take pictures this time around.

I don’t have a picture of it as completely finished quilt unfortunately, but here it is as I was laying it out for basting on the kitchen table:

boy bricks quilt orange gray turquoise

 

boy bricks quilt orange gray turquoise 2

And here it is on the machine (I have a Pfaff QuiltStyle):

boy bricks quilt orange gray turquoise 3

I quilted it with a simple overall meander design. There was so much going on the with the fabrics and the brick pattern that it didn’t need elaborate quilting. That, and I was short on time from procrastinating earlier in the summer. It takes 45 minutes to an hour for me to pin baste a crib quilt this size, and a little over an hour to quilt it. (If I don’t have kids interrupting me or trying to “help” me with the safety pins.)

I have 2 more quilts in the works right now, one for each of my children. I am going to make each of them their own twin quilt for their own “big kid” bed. I have most of the fabric I need. I just have to unearth the sewing machine and cutting mat from the layers and piles. The sewing room remains in a perpetual state of disarray, much like in this post over two years ago. The only difference is that there is more furniture holding even more stuff in there now, mainly because of this. Oh well.

-Susan

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *